Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Write a Lot, Read a Lot/Just Keep Writing

Text Editting Software

So I Downloaded something called Metapad and this thingy called Aspell... I found them doing google searches... I'm sure they would love me to link to them, but I have this odd feeling that it wouldn't matter anyways.

My wife wines that I always open notepad instead of resonable things like Microsoft Word.  I never bother trying to explain why anymore, but the main reason is simplicity, it takes a lot less time to open notepad then to open MSWord, I don't have a lot of extra toolbars and features and stuff that I don't need when I'm just "writing stuff down".

Anyways, I tried writing again yesterday, it's just not working out for me.  I am working, however, under the assumption that at some point, if I just keep writing a bunch, I will come up with something worth reading.  I don't know if this is true.

I have gotten pretty good at writing the first couple hundred words of something. I have a few starts that are in the thousands of words too, so I know I'm capable of that.  I keep getting stuck on trivialities and my cyber-punk-hackers and super-computers spend an awful lot of time hanging out together in breakfast diners and a lot of my narration goes to describing what they are having for breakfast and who the diner is named after.  I've been reading Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World" and I think I might just have to keep at writing about people hanging around and walking between places because eventually SOMETHING is bound to happen.

According to Steven King ("On Writing"), the secret to writing is to just keep reading and writing (I think I may have summarized), and according to Piers Anthony the secret to avoiding "Writer's Block" is to keep writing down ideas even if they don't have anything to do with what you have on the go (gleaned from various authors notes)... the other thing they mentioned that I have a hard time doing is figuring out who you are writing for.

I Hate Stupid People/Caffeine Induced Insanity

I don't really hate them I suppose.  I do however hate talking to them, hate the fact that they exist, hate the social structures responsable for their creation, and hate many individual stupid people. I also hate when smarter people pretend to be stupid or don't bother thinking because it's easier. I'm pretty sure this means I hate myself most of the time, but I probably already knew that.

I do however have a very loose definition of stupid, probably the reason I think I hate stupid people is that I assume if someone is pissing me off they are probably stupid. Added to this, I don't like many smart people sometimes, pretty much anyone I concider to try too hard, or those for whome things come easily.

It doesn't help that caffeine sometimes makes me cranky and reduces the amount of patience I have for people who arn't me. I mean, I'm not even making sense here because I'm full of caffeine. I'm pretty sure it jump starts my creativity and helps me focus better on what I'm doing. It also makes me talkative and interesting... hence why I used to drink three cups of it before doing my radio show.  Crashing sucks though, I really need to just drink and drink until I can't stay awake anymore... or just go to sleep whenever the caffeine runs out I suppose... I don't know where I was going with this.

Boardom

So yesterday I was cranky because I was full of caffeine and then I was home alone and hungry and had gotten bored of everything and then I took a bath and it didn't make me feel any better.  Trish got home and we had a nice dinner of soft tacos and we were talking and stuff, and then I wanted to play a board game, but neither of us wanted to play any of the ones we had, so we went to bed, and then got back up and listened to music while I poked around on the Internet while she red and the couch, and I did the writing stuff I mentioned before... I think I need to come up with a good solid game that we can both enjoy together.

Benjie
(gmail ALSO makes a pretty good text editor)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home