Sunday, September 19, 2004

The second part of my big ugly blog post...

I started with introspection... I don't know what the opposite of that
is so I'll just start writing now.

Thursday I woke up sometime around noon, give or take a few hours. I
didn't have to work, and I'm pretty sure I really didn't really end up
doing anything at all until my mother decided we should pick up a
pizza and drop in on my sister for a game of Settlers (the Settlers
was my idea, I admit it)... oh I know what I did that morning, the
night before (or some time there-about) I had found a computer in the
garbage and it didn't work, so I took it appart as much as I could,
then I put it back together again.

Anyway, one of the pizzas was really good (if you live in Ottawa,
fida's on sunnyside is really good), and when my sister showed up I
got down to teaching everyone how to play the Cities and Knights
expansion... I think they all had a little trouble with it, it not all
that much harder to learn, it's just hard to figure out the
significance of all the new rules. In fact everyone got sick of it
and I was declared the winner. Next time people will get the game
from the start and not whine so much maybe.

When I got home I called Rob and he showed up at the house and between
a couple extra large triple triple coffees I ended up carting my
computer over to Rob's and playing Warcraft III till 11 am Friday.
We've decided that Warcraft is just plain wrong and that the whole
concept of RTS is flawed. We will probably keep playing it anyway. I
have personally decided that the campaign editor is way too
limiting... that or I want to change the nature of the game with it
and they don't want me too.

Friday I slept, got a call from my fiancee and slept some more, then
got up and did something for a couple hours and then went back to bed
and got a ride back to work for 7am from mom.

That afternoon I got a call from Ryan and we went to see "Sky Captain
and the World of Tomorrow" around 6:45. Then we went to MacDonalds
and ate and talked and discussed alternative sources of energy.
Nuclear power is the answer as far as we can tell, at least for now
until we figure out a better way. The energy costs associated with
the production of solar cells don't make them a viable idea and only
20% of the worlds energy could be reliably covered by wind generation,
any more would either be unreliable or would harm the world by
changing the wind patterns. Heat energy from thermals and sun and
direct sulight channeling for indoor lighting is useful, but only for
heating and lighting. What we need to do is get a way to either use
the gamma radiation from nuclear waste to produce significant energy
or figure out a better way to harness sun energy and heat energy...
that or fission... something like that. In the short term however
nuclear power is the safest source of electrical energy for most
things. Maybe we could run big fiber optic cables to move light
energy from places that don't have light to places that do have light
and then use that light directly as energy, heating thing to move
them, heating food, in light based computers, lighting houses,
possibilities are enless if we stop having to turning other things
into electricity before we use it... Man, I'd have to see me on
anything stronger then coffee, I'd probably figure out world peace and
ruin everybodies economies by feeding the poor.

Benjie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home